Conker Safety Warning for Dogs

Conker Safety Warning for Dogs
14 October 2019
Back to news

At this time of year, we’ll start to see conkers on the ground while walking our dogs, but they can be poisonous if eaten or chewed. This is because of a chemical called aesculin which is found in all parts of the horse chestnut tree - even the leaves. Conkers can also cause blockages in your pet’s stomach which in rare circumstances can prove fatal or require surgery. Prevention is the easiest way to avoid illness so try to keep your dogs away from conkers, but if you think your dog has eaten one please get in touch with your vet for advice immediately.