Main Navigation

Travelling abroad with your pet

Travelling abroad with your pet 

In order for you to be able to travel with pet dogs, cats or ferrets outside of mainland Great Britain you will need some travel documentation. Travel to Northern Ireland or the EU requires an Animal Health Certificate (called an AHC). Travel to other countries will require an export certificate which is a more complex process. 

Up to date information can be found on the government website APHA.

Your pet will need to have a microchip and be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel. 
It is currently possible to travel with an existing EU pet passport as long as the rabies vaccine is still up to date. Please note that UK vets cannot add a rabies vaccine entry into an EU passport.  

A rabies vaccination cannot be given at the same time as your pets primary course or annual booster vaccination 

Client can contact our Langford Vet Practice team directly with any pet travel questions. 

Contact us

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents and preparations are required to travel abroad with my pet? 
How can I keep my pet safe and comfortable while travelling? 
What should I do to prepare my pet for international travel? 
opens in new window