Export and Health Certificates

Export and Health Certificates

Our vets at the Stables Equine Practice are certified as “Official Veterinarians” for DEFRA.

This means we are able to carry out inspections and complete the certification for the export of horses. In this role we liaise with your shipping agent and the DEFRA export office in Carlisle. Although the onus is on the owner and shipping agent, our exporting experience and our contacts can help smooth the process.

Contact us in plenty of time and we can help directly or steer you in the right direction for who to talk to.

Here are some useful contact numbers and addresses:-

DEFRA – 01228 403600 (Animal and Plant Health Agency)

John Parker International Horse Transport – 01303 266621

Horse Passports

Blue horse passport folderAll horses by 6 months of age must have an Equine passport and a UELN (unique equine life number). A passport is needed for each animal and lasts the animal’s lifetime. As vets we are qualified to complete the silhouette and sign the passport applications. These applications can take several weeks to be turned around by breed societies and the passport agency, so call the office in plenty of time if your application is time sensitive.

Passports are to be kept with the animal at all times, eg if you keep your animal in a livery stable the passport must be kept at the stable.

Section IX declaration must be signed in all passports as to whether your animal can be used for food at the end of its life. You can declare that your animal is not intended for human consumption by filling in the appropriate section of the passport. This can’t be changed later.

If you don’t make the declaration in the passport, it’s assumed the animal is intended for human consumption at the end of its life.

All horse passports issued since 1 July 2009 must contain a microchip number.

You could get an unlimited fine if you can’t show a valid horse passport for an animal in your care.

Replacement or Lost Passports

It's now easier for original passports to be traced...

With the introduction of the Central Equine Database CED last year, it is now much easier for original passports to be traced.

If you have a microchip number this can be entered into the CED (or Pet ID Equine website) and it will inform you of the passport issuer. You are then able to contact the breed society and purchase a duplicate passport. If the microchip search returns no results, then your vet can complete a new form with Pet-ID (or a breed society). If your horse has already been issued a passport the replacement can only be re-issued from the same passport issuing authority.

If you do not know the microchip number, you can bring your horse into the clinic or we can arrange a visit for them to be scanned (usual visit charges apply). You will then be able to use the CED and contact the passport issuer for a replacement. If the passport issuer cannot be located from the chip search then our vet will complete the ID form as usual.


I am visiting as:

This site uses cookies. By proceeding you are agreeing to our Cookies and Privacy Policy, including the use of cookies and other tracking technologies.