Rabbit Awareness Week
It's Rabbit Awareness Week (9-17th May). To mark the occasion here are some tips on Rabbit Health Husbandry.
- Rabbits are more likely to struggle in hot weather than cold.
- Make sure your rabbit always has shade, whether in the hutch, run or free roaming.
- A bottle of water, a house brick or tile that has been frozen provides a rabbit with something cool to lie against.
- Offer water from a bowl as well as a bottle as the rabbit is likely to drink more and remain hydrated.
- Fly strike is a big problem in rabbits starting as early as spring, right through to warm autumn days. Check your rabbit’s bottom is free from faecal or urine staining twice daily.
- Make sure your rabbit is vaccinated against Myxomatosis and Viral Haemorrhagic Disease.
- Hanging a net curtain over the hutch can help prevent flies and mosquitoes getting in. Good air flow must also be maintained.
- Good quality hay should be the biggest part of any rabbit’s diet.
During Rabbit Awareness Week we are offering free health checks in our Vet Nurse Clinic, including nail clipping, a 10% discount off vaccinations and a goody bag for each rabbit seen. Contact the Small Animal Practice to book your appointment now.