The LVS Diagnostic Laboratories Histopathology Service offers high quality and rapid turnaround reporting on biopsy samples.
Our highly skilled histopathology technicians prepare tissue sections stained by haematoxylin and eosin or a panel of histochemical stains. The laboratory participates in an external Quality Assurance scheme (VETQUAS) and regularly receives top scores for processing and staining.
We are able to offer immunohistochemistry for detailed characterization of tumour type or identification of certain infectious agents. Our diagnostic histopathologists have board certification from the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath) and/or the European College of Veterinary Pathology (DiplECVP).
Decalcification and other treatments for hard samples (bone/hoof/horn/teeth)
Panels of histochemical stains as needed.
2. Allen, K.J., Pearson, G.R.,Fews, D., McOrist, S. and Brazil T.J. (2009) Lawsonia intracellularis proliferative enteropathy in a weanling foal, with a histological diagnosis of lymphocytic plasmacytic enteritis Equine Veterinar 21 411-414
3. Fews, D., Scase T.J. and Battersby I.A. (2008) Leiomyosarcoma of the Pericardium, with Epicardial Metastases and Peripheral Eosinophilia in a Dog Journal of Comparative Pathology 138 224-228
4. Warman, S.M., McGregor, R., Fews, D. and Ferasin, L. (2006) Congestive heart failure caused by intracardiac tumours in two dogs Journal of Small Animal Practice 47 480–483
5. Fews, D., Brown, P. and Alterio G.L.D. A case of invertebral disc degeneration and prolapse with Schmorl’s node formation in a sheep (2006) Veterinary Comparative Orthopedics and Traumatology 19 187–9
6. Correspondence: Harvey, L., Murison, P.J., Fews, D. and Murrell, J.C. Fatal post-anaesthetic pneumothorax in a dog (2010) Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia 37 83–84
7. Case report of atypical infiltrative lipomatosis of the equine mesojejunum Linnenkohl, W., Mair, T. and Fews, D. (2012) Equine veterinary Education (2012) doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3292.2011.00362.x
8. IHarvey, A.M., Battersby, I.A., Faena, M., Fews, D., Darke, P.G.G. and Ferasin, L. (2005) Arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy in two cats Journal of Small Animal Practice 46 151-156
9. Quinn, G.C., Fews, D., Scase, T.J. and Pearson, G.R. (2004) Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour of the heart in a horse Veterinary Record 157 847-847
10. Moores, A.P., Owen, M.R., Fews, D., Coe, R.J., Brown, P.J. and Butterworth, S.J. (2004) Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis in Dogs Journal of Small Animal Practice 45 602-608