Cl. estertheticum QPCR
Cl. estertheticum "blown-pack" spoilage causes substantial economic losses to the meat industry each year.
Since 1997 we have offered the meat industry a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay to detect Cl. estertheticum in samples taken from meat and the abattoir environment. In 2003 we developed a state of the art quantitative (Q) PCR to detect and quantify Cl. estertheticum in samples submitted for testing by the meat industry. To date we have used this assay to test more than 81,000 samples for the meat industry.
We can investigate meat spoilage caused by other factors/microbes/species of Clostridium, please contact us for details.
Tel: 07890 653807 or 0117 394 0510
1. We normally request that samples are collected using plain dry swabs, moistened if necessary (e.g. for environmental samples) with sterile water or diluent such as peptone saline (maximum recovery diluent). Suitable samples include, plain cotton swabs (see below), meat, or drip from vac-packed meat. No transport medium of any kind should be included. In particular, do not use swabs that have been dipped in "neutralising diluent", as this usually gives invalid results.
2. Please complete our online submission form. Samples should be submitted along with a purchase order number and contact details. If samples have been taken from suspect, blown or spoiled vac-packed meat please indicate this.
3. You will receive a confirmation e-mail. Please print this out, sign it and include with your samples.
4. Test prices are shown below:
Between 1 and 19 samples - £25+VAT per sample
Twenty or more samples - £23+VAT per sample
Invoices are generated on a weekly basis and payment can be made by our secure online payment system
5. Swabs can be sent without refrigeration. Please see the online submission form for the address to send to.
6. The test is usually performed twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday.