Join us for a 'hands on' introduction to ophthalmic surgery.
The day is a mix of lectures and practicals covering surgical decision-making and practical surgical techniques for commonly presented eye conditions.
Topics include the surgical approach to eyelid disease, the surgical options for the non-healing ulcer and the surgical options for eye removal.
Lunch and refreshments included.
This day is kindly sponored by Kruuse
1. The surgical approach to eyelid disease
· what surgical instruments should I keep in my ‘eye kit’?
· surgical preparation and positioning
· trichiasis – facial folds, dermoids and facial slip
· entropion – when lids are too tight
· ectropion – when lids are too long
· entropion-ectropion complex – the diamond eye dilemma
· eyelid masses – the small and the enormous
2. The surgical options for the non-healing ulcer
· Spontaneous Chronic Corneal Epithelial Defects (SCCED) vs the complicated ulcer
· aetiopathogenesis and its impact on choice of surgical procedure
· debridement, grid & punctate keratotomies, corneal burr procedures
3. The surgical options for eye removal
· dogs vs cats vs rabbits – the potential pitfalls of each
· transconjunctival enucleation – pros and cons & how to do it
· transpalpebral enucleation – pros and cons & how to do it